lunes, 11 de agosto de 2008

Gracias

As many people already know the word, ¨gracias¨ can be translated in English as ¨thank you.¨ It´s probably the word I hear most spoken everywhere I go in Toluca. But it is also the plural form of the English word ¨grace¨ which means ¨elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action,¨ according to dictionary.com. These last few days I´ve been reflecting a lot about that word. Not only am I incredibly thankful to be here, but I am also continuously amazed at how ¨gracious¨ Mexican people are. I´m not sure if it´s something that´s in the water here, or the strong influence of the Catholic church (?) but I find the citizens of this city to be extremely friendly, humble and hospitable. In contrast, I remember feeling isolated and alienated by the cynicism of the people who lived in the Northern B.C. town I lived last year. I love how Toluquenos greet everyone as a possible friend, rather than treat you as a potential enemy. I spent the weekend visiting my girlfriend´s family and was warmly welcomed to sit at their table. There I was served the most amazing food I have ever been forunate enough to savor - my plate overflowed with beans, tortillas, salsa verde (spicy green sauce), Mexican spaghetti, chicken drowned in a spicy red sauce (the name escapes me). Needless to say I'm very happy to be here and anxiously await the adventures to come. Muchas gracias indeed.

No hay comentarios: