viernes, 5 de septiembre de 2008

Acapulco

I'm in Acapulco now - a very hilly city built up on a bay overlooking the Pacific ocean. I took the four hour bus trip down here on a whim, and I'm glad I did. A lot of Mexican people complain about how Acapulco, while once a paradise, has become overly commercialized and the natural beauty has been spoiled with all the development here. But I don't know, I think the place is pretty nice. How can you really speak badly about a place with a beach over a mile long where it's 30 degrees almost every day of the year? It's much nicer than I expected it to be.
Perhaps I wouldn't like it as much if it weren't the off season. My hotel in the centre is just about dead, and the hotel manager almost pleaded with me to stay there when I first arrived in town. I couldn't really argue with 200 pesos, (20 dollars American) 2 minutes away from the main plaza.
Last night I went to see the famous clavadistas which you can watch here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFvCJQ1SVc. It was quite spectacular. You pay 35 pesos to watch 7 guys climb a cliff that's at least forty five metres high and dive in the ocean. The trick is, the pool they jump into isn't very deep so they have to time their dive with the tide or risk breaking their neck. I was undoubtedly impressed. It sounds corny but it was well worth seeing.
Anyway after that I paid 200 pesos to take this cruise of the bay in a yacht while listening to cheesy Mexican pop music. The great thing about it was being the only white guy and hanging out with chilangos (as people from Mexico city are referred to) for a few hours. Being in Mexico at this time of year I feel like I'm getting to experience the country from the inside out. After the cruise I went to a nightclub that was part of a hotel. I wasn't supposed to be there but the guy at the door automatically assumed from looking at me that I was a rich American paying 100 dollars a night to pass my vacation. But my life is better than any tourist - I get to live in this amazing country. Could life get any better than this?

No hay comentarios: